Archive for category Breizh Entropy Congress
The organizing committee is made up of free software entrepreneurs, students, and professors in computer science, human and social sciences, political sciences, digital arts, etc.
During these 3 sunny days, about 300 people attended the event, including more than 20 persons who set up this project on a voluntary basis. It represents 4 months of preparation and the support of several non-profit organizations and parters, including Actux (LUG from Rennes).
Thursday’s concert welcomed more than 20 musicians at the Diapason concert room, for several performances.
From Friday to Saturday, more than 200 people came to participate and meet 25 European authors in fields of science, society, manufacturing, hacking, and culture.
About 20 quick presentations enabled the discovery of local projects and networking with other work groups.
More than 10 workshops and exhibits featured: a 3D printer and other hacks, lockpicking tools and techniques, aerial photography with kites, and debates about copyright law.
Audience and authors especially enjoyed “the two conference rooms, the atmosphere during the workshops, meetings with developers to push projects forward, the experience acquired by setting up such an event, and the support of the university…”
Media were also there with more than 100 websites which distributed the call for proposals and several blogs talking about the congress. More than 10 interviews have been made before and during the congress to present the themes, and invite the audience to come and discover the event.
This congress was also an opportunity for announcing the launch of a hackerspace project in Rennes.
The organizers wish to thank the artists for their performances at the Diapason, the speakers who enthusiastically answered our call for proposals and who sometimes traveled a long way to come.
Our thanks also go to the visitors who participated, to our partners, to everyone who forwarded the announcements and helped us along the organization of the congress… of which a second edition is already asked for!
- Website of the Breizh Entropy Congress (BEC)
- Photos, conference slides and, hopefully soon, videos
- Communication contact: Valérie Dagrain / vdagrain at free dot fr
Because of the cancellation of many European flights, some speakers are unfortunately unable to attend the Breizh Entropy Congress. We are therefore making some changes in the schedule of tomorrow (Saturday April 17th):
- The talk by António Costa Valente (10:00-11:00) is replaced by a workshop by Sébastien Bourdeauducq on authoring Milkymist visual patches. Beginners welcome, no FPGA programming involved. Bring your laptop with a serial terminal program like GtkTerm (warning: GNU propaganda on this page, but the program itself is good). Language: English+French.
- The talk by Philippe Langlois (13:00-14:00) is replaced by a workshop by Nicolas Brodu about how to set up teleconferencing. Come and learn how to install and run Asterisk! A presentation of the Encours.Org project is also included. Language: English+French.
This new presentation features only a quick overview of the system on chip design, and then focuses on the software and the Milkymist One product. The presentation will be concluded with a demonstration of the system (on a ML401 board) and the live coding of some visual patches (presets).
PDF version. Help us bring more people to BEC!
We are glad to publish today the schedule of the Breizh Entropy Congress, to be held in Rennes, France between April 15th 2010 and April 17th 2010. The congress is themed around free culture and technologies. It features conferences and workshops on an eclectic selection of subjects: from 3D printing to digital chip design, through rural area networks, well-known projects such as Wikimedia and Mozilla, free software economy, relationships with mega-corporations, and security frenzy. Artistic projects will also play an important role, with several installations and performances through the festival and an opening concert featuring a full evening of live music ranging from traditional Irish songs to electroclash and pop-rock.
We thank all submitters for their excellent proposals and their contribution to the event. Without you, nothing would be possible.
Download the complete schedule here.
Entrance is free for all. Feel free to distribute this schedule, blog, tweet, invite your friends and help us bring more people to the congress!
Universite de Rennes, Campus Beaulieu
263 Avenue du Général Leclerc
35700 Rennes, France
Opening: Thursday, April 15th 2010, 20:00
Closing: Saturday, April 17th 2010, 18:00
Vous êtes invités à une réunion d’organisation du BEC qui aura lieu le jeudi 18 mars à 20:30 au Golden Gate Cafe, 3 rue St Georges à Rennes.
* rappel des créneaux et salles disponibles: 013, 014 et 015 au sous-sol du bâtiment 2A de la fac Beaulieu de 10:00 à 18:00 le 16/04 et 17/04. 3 salles de 50 personnes, deux seront allouées pour 2 tracks de conférences (pour un total de 32 slots) et la 3e pour workshops/expositions/socialisation/posters/nerdage.
* vote des propositions (les personnes du comité de programmation ne pouvant pas etre présentes enverront leurs votes par mail avant la réunion)
* matos et salle pour le concert du 15
* comm post-CFP: logo, web, affiches et flyers couleur
* inscriptions en ligne des visiteurs
* équipement des salles
* hébergement des conférenciers
* streaming et enregistrement des confs
* signalétique sur le site